Tuesday, September 8, 2009

How can I hire an attorney if I'm bankrupt?

I get this question less than I expect. But still often enough to address.

How can I hire an attorney if I'm bankrupt?

The answer lies in the difference between Poor and Broke.
Poor is someone who is "being held down by the man, " they don't have anything, never expect to build anything, become anything or build anything. To be poor is to be sad.
Broke on the other hand is a pendulum that swings too far towards debt. The worse off the situation gets, the more determined that pendulum is to swing back the other way.

I've met people with very low means. It's pretty sad. It's sad to me because it's a problem bigger than I can fix. If you have so little income you can barely keep the lights on, bankruptcy may be in your future, but it's not a solution to your problem. I can force them to leave the lights on. It's up to you to keep them burning.

Most clients pay their attorneys fees with simple math.
When you're moving forward towards filing BK, there's no point in continuing to make payments towards items you will be including in the case. Most will keep making payments towards their homes, cars and utilities, but ignore all the rest.
Most attorneys will have you refer those friendly creditor phone calls over to their office too.
If you've been making any sort of payment to your debts, shift the focus of those payments towards your attorney instead.
In a few months, you're case will be paid in full and ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment